Frequently Asked Question
Teams Quick Start for Teachers
Last Updated 11 days ago
Create a Team for your class
- Open up Teams either within the app or from the web site using teams.microsoft.com
- Choose Teams on the left side of the app, then select Join or create a team at the bottom of your teams list.
- Hover over the Create a team card and select Create team.
- Choose Class
- Create your Team name and description, your Team name should clearly indicate which class it is for.
- When you're done, select Create.
Create channels for each class period
To reduce the amount of clutter you will get in your Team it is recommended that you create a private channel for each period.
Create period channel
- Go to the team you want to create the private channel for and select More options >Add channel.
- Enter a name and description for your channel.
- Under Privacy, select the down arrow on the right, and then choose Private – Specific teammates have access.
- Select Create to add the private channel to the team.
Restrict the General channel to teachers only
- Select More options next to the channel name.
- Choose Manage Channel
- Select Only owners can post messages, and the option will automatically save
Invite your students
Using a link to team
- Go to the team name in the teams list and click More options > Get a link to the team
- Select Copy and the link will be saved to your clipboard
- Share your link, once your students have clicked on the link you will need to approve their request
- Go to the team name in the teams list and click More options > Manage Team
- Choose the Pending Requests tab and approve your students' requests
Using the Add Member option
- Go to the team name in the teams list and click More options > Add member
- You will need to type your student's names individually into the search box.
- When you're done adding your students, select Add.