Frequently Asked Question
How to create and manage breakout rooms in Teams
Last Updated 11 days ago
Pre-assign breakout rooms
- Create a new Teams meeting
- Go to your Teams calendar and open the meeting invite.
- You will need to invite all students that you want in pre-assigned breakout rooms.
- To do this it is best to create a repeating Teams meeting for every class so you will only have to invite the students once.
- Go to Breakout rooms and select Create rooms.
- Choose the number of rooms you want (up to 50) and select Add rooms.
- Select Assign participants.
- Choose whether you want Teams to evenly assign people to rooms (Automatically) or assign people yourself (Manually).
Create breakout room during a Teams meeting
- Click on the Breakout rooms icon in the top right corner as shown below
- Select the number of desired breakout rooms from the dropdown
- Then select whether you would like the participants to be randomly assigned or manually assigned.
- At this time you can only create breakout rooms from an active Teams meeting.
Manually assign breakout rooms
- In the breakout rooms menu there is a button to assign participants, click that
- Select all participants you want to move to one breakout room and click assign
- Repeat this for all remaining rooms